Tuesday, 18 March 2008

Time flies again

Over the last year, my time spent programming often goes quite slow and is hard to get motivated enough. Yesterday and today i've been learning some fairly simple x86 assembly to begin making thread-safe lock/wait free containers (queue, list, stack etc) for OGE. I spent hours on it, and they flew by. I realise it feels exactly how it used to feel when i first started learning to program, which back then, i spent along time which flew by very fast.

Currently i have a set of atomic operations, such as add, exchange and add, swap, compare and swap etc. I also have an Atomic template class which uses these operations. This class can be used for thread-safe counters. This is leading up to create some containers, which should improve OGEs performance considerably, as there will be alot less locks being performed.

We didn't get accepted for Google Summer of Code this year, it seems they only accepted quite big/mature projects. We will hopefully have a better chance next year.

No comments: